The Maternal Data Center (MDC) is an online web tool that generates near real-time data and performance metrics on maternity care services for hospital participants. Hospitals submit patient discharge data – data that they already collect – to the MDC, which instantaneously links the discharge data to birth certificate or clinical data. The result is a low-burden tool that gives clinicians the perinatal performance metrics and benchmarking data they need to drive quality improvement.
More than 200 hospitals use the MDC to:
- Generate nationally endorsed perinatal quality metrics
- Generate provider-level quality metrics
- Compare hospital performance to statewide, regional and system benchmarks
- Perform drill-down analysis to identify a hospital’s unique QI opportunities
- Identify data quality issues that impact performance measure results, including issues with ICD-10 coding
- Facilitate performance reporting requirements to the Leapfrog Group, CMS Inpatient Quality Reporting Program and the Joint Commission Ongoing Professional Practice Evaluation (OPPE) Program
- Support participation in quality improvement collaboratives
Click here to see what the Maternal Data Center can do on our Demonstration Site!
The Maternal Data Center is currently available to hospitals with Labor and Delivery units in California, Washington and Oregon.